Tuesday, September 04, 2007

New Season

My second summer of rereading proved as fulfilling as the first, though it was not as concentrated. But it was a joy to revisit classics: The Portrait of a Lady and To the Lighthouse, which I'd previously just read as a student, but it was something different to approach them on my own terms. My regular rereads: Slouching Toward Bethlehem and Unless were better than they'd ever been. Books I'd read but forgotten, and certainly not because they were forgettable: The Summer Book, and The Blind Assassin. I have a theory that you've never really been anywhere until you've been there at least twice, and I think this might very well be the case with books.

But now it is September, and new books are blooming. I've been binge reading lately-- what else are holiday Mondays for if not a book in a day? Looking forward to the long train journey this weekend to get some more books under my belt. Oh, there are some wonderful books coming out this Fall, so stay tuned here and I'll recommend the best ones. Watch for my review of Richard B. Wright's October very soon. I am now reading Turtle Valley by Gail Anderson-Dargatz, who I've never read before.

After reading under restrictions for the last two months, being able to read so freely feels deliciously licentious.