Sunday, July 22, 2007

Things fall apart

Joan Didion is not best read, I find, when one's recent grasp of good sense has been tenuous. Or perhaps she is best read in such a state, but then the reader is not so great to be around after. As I should know, having spent the last day with me. Neuroticism is contagious, but then Didion's writing is so absolutely fine-picked and lovely, it seems a shame to let it go to waste. And so I've been rereading Slouching Toward Bethlehem, and have been immersed in that world of thirty years ago where "Things fall apart; the center cannot hold." It seems it's same as it ever was, and I don't know if such a constant should be reassuring or otherwise. And I am thinking differently about "On Keeping a Notebook" than I did, and "remembering the me that used to be" seems less important that it used to. And all the California bits, which seem more pressing having read Where I was From.

("You see I still have the scenes, but I could no longer perceive myself among those present, no longer could even improvise the dialogue.")

Next up I will reread A Big Storm Knocked It Over, which, hopefully, will put me back in my mind.