Friday, January 04, 2008

Abookaday

During my holiday, I've managed to read a book a day (though this was accomplished by reading books that were primarily quite short and/or excellent), which has been tremendously satisfying, fun, stimulating and rich. I've got a lot of my new books read, and my focus is now on the older books I've picked up at sales over the past year and which have been lingering on my shelf. Now reading Perfect Happiness by Penelope Lively (who I love). But I'll also be starting the new collection Graham Greene: A Life in Letters. I've loved Graham Greene's work for a long time, including The End of the Affair, The Heart of the Matter, The Quiet American. Though it is Travels With My Aunt that stands out, actually. And I'll be reading Brighton Rock shortly. It will be interesting though, as I know almost nothing about Graham Greene. Except for the Catholic stuff, which always gets a bit lost on me in his fiction (and I've had a similar problem with Muriel Spark). Perhaps this will help?