Tuesday, March 31, 2009

More Swim-Lit

I was expecting to enjoy Lauren Groff's collection of short stories Delicate Edible Birds, but I had no idea that here was another work of swim-lit. Like Groff's first novel, the marvelous The Monsters of Templeton, these stories take place around bodies of water, and they're also much concerned with swimming and swimmers. (I've not finished the book yet, but I've just started reading one story about a deep-sea diver). I realized that I'd read the story L. Debard and Aliette before, in the 2006 Atlantic Fiction Issue, and remember it quite vividly these years later-- turned out I liked Lauren Groff before I even knew Lauren Groff. It's an amazing story of poolside sensuality. The stories linked by these swimming references in a way that intrigues me, and certainly satisfies by latest literary fixation. How positively timely.