Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Update

So, I'm not going to say I've mastered nursing, I've certainly learned plenty in the past five weeks, and it's getting better all the time. I will lay claim, however, to having mastered reading while nursing. Which I don't do all the time for fear of child neglect or that she'll grow up to think her mother is a hard cover, but I am pleased to say that I've got a lot of reading done lately. I read Catherine O'Flynn's What Was Lost in a hurry, and enjoyed it very much. I'm now absolutely obsessed with Lisa Moore's February, which I think will win the Giller Prize this year, if anyone's betting. And this morning I bought The Ten Year Nap by Meg Wolitzer, who I've never read but have heard great things about (including from Jessica Westhead). So the moral is that reading is possible in this new life, as are banana pancakes, park bench afternoons, Midsomer Murders, laughter and ease. I have avoided daytime television thus far, which I'm quite proud of. New pleasures are late evening walks, respect for quiet, baby bathtime, board books and almost-smiles. And that's starting to make everything else worthwhile.