Monday, March 02, 2009

From the "I should have known better..." file

Do NOT read Andrew Pyper before you go to bed at night. This tip I picked up reading The Killing Circle last year, waking up in the night convinced there was somebody lurking at the bottom of my stairs, even hiding under the bed, or standing over me watching while I slept, so I was not to move a muscle. But I thought I would be safe with early Pyper, with his short story collection Kiss Me. (It had been a gift from the lovely Rebecca Rosenblum after all). And it was the story "Break and Enter" that finally did me in, so that I woke up at 2:30 this morning, not convinced the man was actually gone, the one who'd been standing over me ready to kill me in my dream. In order to shake off the fear, I then had to rouse myself into a state of wake that would last for over two hours. During which I was distracted when the baby kicked, and worried baby wouldn't kick again when it didn't. And then when I finally managed to fall back to sleep, I dreamed I was being chased by a wild boar.

I don't think he had anything to do with the boar, but still-- do NOT read Andrew Pyper before you go to bed at night.