Friday, January 09, 2009

New (Canada Reads) Books!!

I really believe that Ben McNally couldn't have picked a better location for his bookshop than right next door to the building where my husband works. And I am very grateful for a husband kind enough to pick up the Canada Reads stack on his lunch break, just because I can't wait another day for them. Four new books (because I owned Mercy Among the Children already)!! A couple of which I'd never have picked up otherwise, due to a variety of literary prejudices that I'm pleased to be challenging in the coming weeks. And unlike my usual reviews (where I only write about the books I like enough to do so) I'll be reading with a critical eye, and ranking these five picks to find a winner. Then I'm looking forward to seeing how my opinion compares to the official panelists', and to opinion at large.