Monday, November 17, 2008

Satisfied

Now reading and being absolutely blown away by Anne Enright's collection Yesterday's Weather. I just finished reading Justine Picardie's Daphne, which was a wonderful literary mystery ala Possession except the sources all were real-- remarkable, and I loved it. I also just finished The New Quarterly 108, and Kristen Den Hartog's "Draw Crying" was so awful, beautiful and perfect that it had me crying, and not just because I'm pregnant.

Also my dinner was really delicious.

Further, there are good things to read everywhere. Fabulously, on Iceland's economic meltdown, and its ancient sagas, and its literature today. Who's reading what at TNQ. Globe reviews this week: When Will There Be Good News, and Lucy Maud Montgomery: Gift of Wings. Good heavens: a book by a woman put forth as one of the 50 greatest. On snow books, and what to read in the darkness of winter. Miriam Toews (of the remarkable Flying Troutmans) wins the Writer's Trust Award for Ficion. Listen to Esta Spalding reading Night Cars by Teddy Jam (who was Matt Cohen-- I didn't know!).