Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Upcoming

Well, though I was a little bit concerned, I've enjoyed John Updike's Too Far to Go, though it served to underline my prejudice towards 1970s marriage as Ice Stormy as you like-- how boring the suburbs really must have been, that so many unattractive people kept having sx with one another. Did that end with the 'eighties? As I assume everyone settled down a bit with the advent of interlocking brick driveways and The Twenty Minute Workout. Plus the widespread use of microwaves.

So I'll soon start reading Lucy Maud Montgomery: The Gift of Wings by Mary Henley Rubio. I can't remember the last biography I read (and so it is fortunate that I keep track of all the books I read-- note, I've not read a strict biography in the three years I've been keeping track, though I've read plenty of non-fiction, memoirs, biographical memoirs, but...) and so this will be a change of pace. Not so much thematically, however, as this has been a very Montgomery filled year-- Anne Shirley turned 100 this year with all kinds of fanfare, and this very summer I reread both Anne of Green Gables and Emily of New Moon. But I continue to know very little about Montgomery's life, particular her later life (except what I picked up from As Ever, Booky). So there is a lot to get to know.