Sunday, March 02, 2008

This weekend I read

This weekend I read Descant 139, and loved in particular "In the Time of the Girls" by Anne Germanacos, the "Synchronicities" section, and poems by Changming Yuan-- "delicately hung is this earth/ a bluish cage in the universe." I also read the February 7 issue of London Review of Books, and "Derek, please, not so fast"-- a review of As I Was Going to St. Ives, a biography of Derek Jackson (to whom Pamela Mitford was but a footnote! I had no idea: "To call his carry-on goat-like would be grossly unfair to goats, who seem celibate, faithful, and even tempered by comparison"). The William Faulkner interview in The Paris Review Interviews II was stunningly awful, brilliant and profound. I will soon be starting to read Nikolski, and after that I'll get to Brighton Rock.

I also began culling my library in preparation for our move. A shedload will be donated to the Victoria College Library Booksale on Thursday, but anyone who wants to can drop by before then is welcome to sort through the stacks. Assuming you know where I live, in which case you're probably my friend, and I'd be happy to see you anyway.