Sunday, December 16, 2007

Pickle Me This Picks of '07

These are my picks, my favourites, which is why I don't feel bad that so few were authored by men (though does it count that another author has a man's name?). I don't claim that they're the Best books of 2007 (though they might be) but just my best. I did try to read more books by men this year, by resolution, as I'd so been neglecting that poor gender. And I'm better for it, but still the books women write seem to be the ones I like the very best, however diverse they might be amongst themselves. What follows are such books, listed in the order in which I encountered them.

New Fiction
  • Afterwards by Rachel Seiffert (From my review: "a startlingly original novel... What do you do with the past once it's over?")
  • The Lizard Cage by Karen Connelly (From my review: "her achievement is creating a novel so truly beautiful out of some of the ugliest stuff the world has on offer.")
  • Certainty by Madeleine Thien (From my review: "...ultimately it is the sum of these stories which provides the "certainty" amidst uncertainty: meaning is evident, and beauty abounds.")
  • The Ladies' Lending Library by Janice Kulyk Keefer (From my review: "Here is a summer book through and through, all the while substantial, well-written.")
  • Let the Northern Lights Erase Your Name by Vendela Vida (From my post-review: "has been positively haunting me since I read it.")
  • Rosie Little's Cautionary Tales for Girls by Danielle Wood (From my review: " Rosie Little is "the next Bridget Jones" for which we've been longing for ten years.")
  • Late Nights on Air by Elizabeth Hay (From my review: "This book feels too whole to have been created... [A]n entity unto itself, its own world, and a truly magnificent literary achievement.")
  • Remembering the Bones by Frances Itani (From my review: "The Stone Diaries without the ghost, but also something original, beautiful, gentle and lovely in its own right.")
  • The Frozen Thames by Helen Humphreys (From my review: "The Thames freezing is a perfect example of an extraordinary moment in time... and Humphreys links these moments together in this small beautiful book.")
  • The Great Man by Kate Christensen (From my review: "There is joy here, and there's goodness, and the whole wide world, which is certainly something for a book.")

New Non-Fiction

Not New but Glad I Discovered