Monday, October 01, 2007

So many Penguins

Well, my fears were unwarranted. The Victoria College Books Sale had more than enough books for me and the WOTS crew. And there's still more, and you can fill a box tomorrow morning for a tenner if you're interested. But I am finished. From the top left: Forever by Judy Blume, so my future-children can have naughty books around the house appropriate to their age group; Volume Two of Woolf's Diaries, as I've only read the last one so far; Penelope's Way by Blanche Howard, who I've wanted to read since her letters were published last Spring; Larry's Party by Carol Shields, which, though I can't believe it, I've never read; The Tree of Life by Fredelle Bruser Maynard; Rose Macaulay's The World my Wilderness; Breath, Eyes, Memory by Edwidge Danticat; another Penelope Lively-- Cleopatra's Sister; The Penguin Encyclopedia of Places from 1965, purchased for charm and not currency; At Home in the World by Joyce Maynard, whose sister has already demonstrated that Maynards write good books; Woolf's last novel Between the Acts; Look at Me by Anita Brookner; Dominick Dunne's Another City, Not My Own, as we love his books at our house; Lessing's The Golden Notebook even though Joan Didion doesn't like it; Lucky Jim by Kingsley Amis; two Graham Greenes-- The Heart of the Matter, which I've read, and Brighton Rock, which I haven't; Perfect Happiness by Penelope Lively; The Last Thing He Wanted by Joan Didion; Beach Music by Pat Conroy, which my mom, sister and I love together, and my previous copy I left in Japan.

I am now, quite officially, overbooked.