Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Books before me

My friend Bronwyn once wrote me in an email, "I haven't read Mrs. Dalloway because then I will have read it and I won't be able to look forward to reading it." I understand entirely. Me, I get a frisson of sheer joy every time I remember that I've still got unread Carol Shields before me. How I hate that the list is so finite (and ever depleting) but I still haven't read Larry's Party, A Celibate Season or her short story collections (except Various Miracles which is one of the most perfect collections I've ever read). I've been avoiding it all on purpose-- what will I ever do when I am through? Read them all again, I suppose, as my annual reread of Unless has never failed to hold new discoveries. But still. Books before me, books which I'm sure to love-- is there any greater joy? And Larry's Party starts tomorrow...