Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Fictional Fiction

I've been thinking about fictional books lately, and of course I'm not the only one. There's a whole wikipedia page devoted to them (and of course there is). But fictional books have been turning up in my life awfully frequently lately-- The Blind Assassin by Laura Chase, A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian by Nikolai Mayevskyj, Briony Tallis's Atonement, the Great Expections as retold by Matilda and Mr Watts, My Thyme is Up by Reta Winters. I do believe Mr. Ramsay had written a book to prove he'd reached the letter Q, but I don't think I know its title.

Please pardon the obscure references (but full points to whoever can get them!). Do note, however, that these are only the fictional books found in books I've read since the beginning of August. And I haven't even started on The Raw Shark Texts, which are primarily constructed of such things. Is there something strange going on here?

Now I understand that the ubiquity could have something to do with the books I choose, and my affinity for books about people who write. But sometimes fictional books do turn up in the oddest places. Some have also had profound effects upon me. And which especially, you may ask? The best fictional book I've never read would have be Lo, the Flat Hills of my Homeland by none other than A. Mole. And I am also quite fond of Anne Shirley's short story "Averil's Atonement", though of course its commercial nature put me off a bit in the end.