Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Stories in the Air

What a treat was mine this eve, as my fairy godmother had delivered me her ticket to the Kama Readings; she couldn't attend. And so I went in her place, and saw/listened to Camilla Gibb, David Adams Richards, Thomas King and M.G. Vassanji. The readings were an absolute pleasure. Gibb read from Sweetness in the Belly (my favourite book of 2006); Richards read a beautiful passage from The Friends of Meager Fortune; King and Vassanji both read short stories from recent collections. I do like to sit and listen-- it is a test for me, as anyone who has ever been interrupted by me would surely realize. It requires effort, but I always feel wonderful after-- like I've been working a muscle. And I like the idea of readings, of stories in the air. The ones floating about were certainly wonderful tonight.

Now reading A Good Man is Hard to Find by Flannery O'Connor. The man in the elevator today examined my cover (quite forcefully), and said "You've got to love the Irish". I really didn't know what to tell him. Coming up: Poppy Shakespeare and then The Girls-- both popular novels whose premises have kept me shying away, but I'm finally too curious. And I'm still reading Stephanie Nolen's 28 Stories of Aids of Africa which is amazingly captured, and I'm slowly working through.

David Adams Richards amused everyone tonight with his story of the time he set his hair on fire. Guffaws all around. Though some of you will remember why my laughter was very much in sympathy. He, however, did not set his aflame at karaoke.