Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Such is the life

The book people outdid themselves and my copy of The Sea Lady arrived yesterday, but I can't bring myself to read it. I remember finishing The Red Queen last winter, and the terror of having all the Margaret Drabbles behind me, and I don't want to face that again. I will savour the prospect of this novel for a while I think, seeing as I am up to my elbows in CanLit and won't have the time to savour the actual reading anytime soon. But I am so looking forward to reading it, and inevitably adoring it. And don't think my expectations are set too high; Ms. Drabble has never failed to meet them.

I am writing this entry on a break from writing, which today is devoted to. I have been reasonably successful at resisting the urge to google Tina Yothers and other relevant pop culture figures (this is a lie; this morning I watched Family Ties clips on YouTube, but such acts have been kept to the minimum. Damn wireless internet) and I am being pretty productive. Laundry has just been installed in our basement, so no more trips to the laundrette for me, though there is a rumour that the dryer is broken already we shall see. Am a bit tired, as thunderstorms awoke us and ours at 6:30 this morning for the second day in a row. Now reading Green Grass Running Water by Thomas King, and I'm really enjoying it. I've never read anything by him before.

Plenty of book news: The Giller Shortlist is announced. Coverage at CBC. Book City's founder's favourite books. Top ten fictional poets. The problem with literary how-to guides.

Must go wash dishes and then investigate dryer situation. Such is the life of a student/housewife.