Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Collect

I enjoyed reading "An English Professor's Credo", the Victoria College Baccalaureate Address by my former professor C. Anderson Silber. A very odd but interesting article by Lionel Shriver, whose "We Need to Talk About Kevin" I finished this afternoon. Oh my, what a book. You wouldn't think a book that you know from the start winds up in a school massacre would be able to twist so far at the end, but it did. Lionel Shriver, politics aside, is an absolute genius. On the Things I Miss About Britain list is celebrity chefs; Zoe Williams skewers Nigella on the telly. Matt Seaton. who wrote a book about cycling that I actually enjoyed, recommends his ten best cycling books. I don't know if I'll go so far as to read them. AS Byatt on the still life as metaphor.

Have organised my photo albums, CDs, and am getting started on all the rest. We are streamlining my collection of collections. I had half a Dairy Queen Blizzard Yesterday for the first time in two years, and it was brilliant. We are going to Toronto from Thursday until Sunday. Canada is a very good place.