Sunday, June 05, 2005

What was wrong with my love?

Songs and books can find each other by coincidence, and then be forever entwined. Whenever I hear "I'd Run Away" by the Jayhawks, I am back to Bob Geldof's autobiography, "Is that it?," which I read on an airplane listening to the Jayhawks on a mix tape. The book was written when he was dedicating things to Paula Yates, tragic lyrics, "what I had in mind was wrong." I fell in love with Soviet History, studying for a first year European History exam, and listening to "Winds of Change" by Scorpions, which in my mind is the official soundtrack to the Russian Revolution. And most recently, in April I read "Eleanor Rigby" by Douglas Coupland, which was marvelous. Was listening to "Get Along With You" by Kelis at the time, which could be the saddest song I've ever heard, and the loneliness in both works just gelled and they're forever related in my mind.